Nidos Intranet


Whether you are allowed to work depends on your residence status.

Is your application still being processed?

If your application is still being processed and you are 16 years or older, you will have limited access to the labour market. You will have the right to short-term work, which means a maximum of 24 weeks within a period of 12 months. Employers must apply for a work permit for you, which is granted for the duration of the residence permit at the most.

Has your application been rejected?

If you have received an irrevocable negative court ruling, or if your application is still being processed but you are not allowed to await the outcome of the procedure in the Netherlands, then you will not be allowed to work in the Netherlands.

Do you have a residence permit?

If you have a residence permit and you are 16 years or older, you will be allowed to work. However, this does not apply to youngsters with a residence permit on medical grounds.

Voluntary work

Voluntary work is also allowed, but it must be work which serves a general social interest. You can enquire at the Netherlands Employee Insurance Agency [UWV] whether particular activities are considered as voluntary work. If you would like to work, but do not know whether this is possible and under what conditions, contact your guardian and ask him or her for advice.